Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Happy Halloween! (Monsters and Princess - No Not Plural in Case You Wondered)

 I was a little crazy over Halloween this year.  Bella is somewhat to blame!  :)   I believe that I finally have a "girly girl"  (yes, everyone clap for me and give me long distance "high fives")  -  so I was absolutely determined that she was going to be a Disney Princess.  Unfortunately, the closest Disney Store is about 40 minutes away and my weeks (plural, not singular) have been out of control. 

We've been doing the "drop and dump" in our house for the past few weeks.  In case you're wondering what that is, it's like "Sunday house" on steroids.

NOTE:   Many of you must be familiar with "Sunday House."    We use that term to explain a house that everyone walks into and drops what they are holding, wearing, their trash, food etc. right where they stand.  GRRRR..... 

Anyhow,

There are so many great uses for my time.  Laundry, bathrooms, new calling, laundry (did I mention laundry?) - you get the idea.  (PTO, fundraisers for football, Booster club etc. etc....)

So how do I use my ONLY two and a half free hours that I had last week? (That I had to cancel a parent teacher conference to get.  What!  Jules has straight A's...)  I drive to Gilbert to get Bella a Princess Belle costume.   Never mind Halloween was on Sunday so we didn't actually let the kids trick or treat,  OR that our church "trunk or treat" was on Saturday night at the same time as Josh's football game, so we were only at the party about 45 minutes. 

I paid 25.00 and two and a half hours of precious time on buying one Belle costume that was only used for 45 minutes.

Was it worth it?


C'mon, it totally was, right?  Ok, so she was a "poopy Princess" for just a minute. Turns out that she is no longer fond of the camera.  BUT, she loved her costume.  She made the same face when I made her take off the dress.  

 In my defense, remember that I'm a "girly girl" with four boys and one "not girly girl."  I'm entitled to have a few lapses in judgement...

*Please note the adorable flowers in her hair*  Aunt Christina made those specially for her.  Then, Grandma hemmed up her dress.  Thank Heavens for family! 

*Please do not pay attention to the mess that is behind Bella in the picture.  I did explain the "drop and dump" phenomenon, right?.....  I promise, it doesn't look the exact same right now, I swear.  C'mon, it's been four days.  At least we moved the piles around!  :)

And just in case this blog entry isn't long enough already, here are the rest of my little monsters.  (Nope, no more princesses here!)  Derek came up with the great idea of having a costume contest.  It ended up being between Mike and Jules, but they had a great time with it.  Jules won five dollars for taking so much time on her costume and being creative.  (Matthew finally caved under pressure - he was a Transformer, but still really cute!)




We had a great time.  As an added bonus, Uncle Mike was here and was part of our craziness and fun and games.  He made a Thanksgiving dinner menu, and then put it together with just some "sous" chefs.  In other words, the rest of us chopped some veggies.  He seasoned everything.  It was awesome!  Did you know that green bean casserole could be made with cheese soup and cheesy fried onions?  YUMMY.

One more life lesson I learned.  We were so excited about making homemade root beer again this year that Derek bought the ice Wednesday so that we would be prepared for Sunday.  Imagine our dismay when we pulled the bag out of the freezer and it was empty.  The dry ice completely disappeared.  Soooo..... Mike explained that dry ice is either a solid or a gas.  No liquid.  Hmmm....  who knew?  We were very sad.  Good news is, we will know for next time AND we will be making it soon anyhow.  I'll post the recipe when we do.

I hope you all had a "Very Happy Halloween!"

PS.  This note is for Julianna.  For all my talk of Princess Bella, I would not change ONE thing about you.  Not one!  I only WANT one Princess, I love you so much just the way you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment