Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Beef "Stoup"

I made a "stoup" tonight.  (Rachel Ray calls a mix between soup and stew, "stoup.")  I wasn't sure if I wanted to write down the ingredients because I didn't know if it was that good, but my family loved it and ate almost the entire pot.  So, I guess I'll go ahead and save it here in case I decide to make it again someday.  Maybe you all can try it too and let me know what you think.

Start by making a "roux"
1 1/4 C margarine
1 1/4 C water
Combine in the bottom of heavy dutch oven
Stir in two cups of water and mix with whisk.
Slowly continue to add about six additional cups of water and whisk continually so that you don't have any lumps.

Add:
2 cans beef broth
1 can Campbells french onion soup
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 bag of frozen vegetables.  I added a bag of broccoli, cauliflower and peppers in a cheese sauce.  It added extra flavor to the soup.

We had london broil for Sunday dinner, and it was delicious.  I added about 1 1/2 pounds of leftover beef cut into cubes.  If you have leftover steak or roast, I'd add it as is, but if you are using raw beef, brown it in some oil and season it before you add it to the stoup mixture.

Season with:
1 envelope beef stew seasoning
1 tsp. dried rosemary
garlic powder and garlic salt to taste

I brought the stoup up to a boil, then let it simmer for over an hour.  Total cooking time was about an hour and a half.  I'm thinking the crockpot would do a great job on this recipe so I'll use it next time.

I only have about a three to four month window when it is truly chilly enough at night to make soup.  We'll see what else I can come up with this winter!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment