Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Simple Salads

So I've been asked for this recipe several times, and I thought I added it on this blog somewhere but I've been doing some blog "cleaning" and I can't find it, so I'm adding a few simple salad recipes.

Cabbage Chopped Salad

Half a head of cabbage, chopped.
About four green onion, white and green parts, chopped
Fresh cilantro, about five sprigs chopped finely.  So good to know about cilantro; there is a lot of flavor in the stem, so chop the entire sprig.
One lime
Salt

Chop the cabbage, add chopped green onion and cilantro toss together.
Add the juice of half the lime, adding the other half as needed.
Salt your salad.  Salt is key in this little salad, it brings out the flavor of all the vegetables so don't be afraid of the salt.
Toss again thoroughly.  Taste, add salt or lime if needed.
Let your little salad sit for a few minutes, and then you can have it on literally anything Mexican:  tacos, burros, enchilada.  My kids will eat bowlfuls of this stuff... it's that good. (And it's cabbage, bonus!)

Tomato Avacado Salsa

My sister, Christina served a mission in Chicago, and one of her members would always serve a cubed tomato and cubed avacado with her meal.  My sister adds a little bit of olive oil and salt for seasoning, and it's a delicious salsa!  As an option, add juice from the lime half leftover from your cabbage salad for a little flavor and also as a preservative for the avacado.  Once again, serve on any Mexican dish you like, or over a green salad or over chicken.

1 comment:

  1. On my mission, I would eat it with plain salted white rice. I never though a poor man's meal could be so delicious. It's a nice simple way to eat it, and the tastes go so well together!

    ReplyDelete