Wednesday, December 29, 2010

'Tis the Season

Well, my Anniversary, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day has come and gone without so much as a peep from me here.  You all know how it is... I've been shopping, cooking, sleeping and playing with some new toys Santa brought me.  (I think the Nook is really going to get me in trouble.  Once I start a book, I have a REALLY hard time putting it down!)

We've had sick kids, and sick moms and dads.  I think that I may go this whole Christmas season without making one cookie that was edible.  I finally gave up on the "Peppermint Whoopie Pies."  I had high hopes, but every time I tried to make them they just tasted - funky.  Then I just ran out of time.  Oh well!  (Oh, and by the way, all of my Christmas cards are still sitting on my kitchen counter.  You WILL get them though, I promise!)

A few days before Christmas, Derek asked Matthew if he thought he was on Santa's "naughty" or "nice" list.  "Hmmmm... " says Matthew.  "I think I might be on the naughty list."  Hearing that makes me question my parenting skills a little.  What kind of mother am I, that my six year old thinks he belongs on the "naughty" list!?  Derek assured him that while he may make bad choices sometimes, he was definitly more nice than "naughty."  I agree. 

Today, he comes up to me and says "mom, you look so pretty."  "Thanks Matthew," I say.  He replies, "no really mom, you are pretty!."  See, he belongs on the "nice" list all year long!

Another fun thing happened today.  Bella asked for "pretty toes."  She didn't just ask, she insisted.  The downer was I used my "Pretty Princess"  (the must have pink) color, and it wasn't dark enough for her.  She made me repaint her big toes red.  HOWEVER, WOOOO HOOOOO!  I have my girly girl.  Love it!

I also wanted to share what I came up with for Sharing Time last week.  I felt really inspired.  The lesson was on returning to live with Heavenly Father someday.  As I was pondering the lesson, I thought of the game Chutes and Ladders.  So, I printed a copy of the game board and reproduced it on a poster.  Then, I printed picutes of some of the "good" choices we make that lead back to Heavenly Father and added it to the "ladder" squares.  Then, of course, bad choices over the "chutes" squares.  Not only was it fun, but I feel the kids came away with a pretty clear understanding of the lesson.  I am SO relieved my first month of Sharing Time in my whole life is over.

One more thing, Tyler left on Trek today.  I'm pretty nervous.   He's been sick and the weather is uncooperative.  Cold and windy.  I heard his "ma and pa" are a couple in the Ward that Derek and I totally trust, but I hope he's okay.  I can't wait to post about his (and our) experience when it's over!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment