Monday, December 13, 2010

A Little Validation

I received a new calling at church last month in the Primary Presidency.  I have to admit, I feel like a fish out of water. I wasn't very excited about it.  I loved the callings I had for the past two years and I can pretty much count on two fingers how many years of my life I served in the primary and never in the presidency. 

I had to teach my first Sharing Time last week.  I planned and planned and prepared, but I guess nothing can  actually get you ready for you very first Sharing Time.

 I thought it would be fun to have little skits to figure out what scripture story we were learning about.  I organized props in bags and printed the actual script for teachers to say.  In Junior Primary, our upcoming Sunbeams participate with the Sunbeams during Sharing Time.  For some reason, I decided that the youngest children could be "families" in tents, listening to King Benjamin.  What made me think that having fifteen three and four year olds together in a "tent" was a good plan?  I really thought they would listen?

Least. Reverent. Sharing. Time. Ever.

I could actually read the teachers thoughts...  (Can't fix stupid!)  Good thing they were all much too kind to say so...  Even typing out what I did, I can't believe I thought that was a good plan.

Anyhow, fast forward to this week. I planned and prepared again this week and a friend gave me some ideas to help keep kids reverent.  So here they are in case any of my "sistas" are out there working in Primary.  I brought a boy crown and a girl crown and the most reverent children got to wear them.  The other sisters in the Presidency moved the crowns around to other quiet children so several had turns. Worked like a charm.

I gave a  lesson that turned out well and we did a little craft.  I was pretty worried about doing an activity - any activity again, but the kids behaved very nicely.  Complete 360 from last week.

 So, I wanted to ask Matthew how things went hoping, of course, to get a pat on the back.  Who better to get feedback from than one of my own kids and I knew he would be honest.  I asked him, "hey Matthew, did you like Sharing Time today?"  He said, "Mom, I didn't like it."  What!?  (I was surprised and a little sad.)  Then he finished, "I didn't like it, I LOVED it!" 

Funny thing here, my heart leaped a little.  It genuinely made me so happy that he loved it!  I am validated - maybe I'll learn to enjoy this calling after all...

But I will definitely save the tents for camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment