Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Keeper of the Fish

So I get a phone call the other day.

The caller ID says The Linn Group.  Hmmm... I am thinking. That seems somewhat official, maybe I should answer it.

So I answer and a male voice asks, "Is Michael Samuel there?"  (Weird, I am thinking.)

Ummm No, this is his mother, may I ask who is calling?

"This is so and so (you can't expect me to remember names), I am calling from the Linn Group.  We are an investment banking firm in Chicago."

My wheels are turning, but things are starting to come together....

I ask, "Michael is my twelve year old son.  Did he leave you a message or something? How did you get our number?"  (You may think that's a little odd, that I would wonder if Michael would have called an investment banking firm and left a message, but it is actually plausible to me.)

Well, this is the number he left us in his email.  Let's see, the email is...  and as he reads the name, you can hear things coming together for him...  keeperofthefish @ ....  okay, nevermind, thank you and he hung up. I bet I assume correctly that business moguls around the world's email don't include the word "fish" very often and even less, "keeper of."  (It is a clever name though, don't you think?)

I really got a chuckle out of that phone call.  I mean, obviously we need to give Michael a little lecture on handing his phone number out to investment banking firms on the internet, but now it makes much more sense as to why we've been recieving "Investors Business Daily" in the mail.  (True story.)

I wonder if that guy told anyone around the water cooler at work?

No comments:

Post a Comment