Friday, May 7, 2010

Cafe Rio Pork and Tomatillo Dressing

So I looked up a few Cafe Rio recipes on the internet, but I ended up just winging one based on what I found.  I think it turned out really well, so I'm going to post it here.

Cafe Rio Pork

4-5 pound boneless pork loin roast
2 cans sprite
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 packets onion soup mix
1 can Hunts fire roasted tomatoes with green chili (although any tomato with green chili will do)

Place all of the ingredients in a crock pot for several hours, until the pork shreds easily.  (If I have a lot of time, I cook it on low.  If I'm short on time, I turn my crock pot to high.)  The carbonation in the soda makes the pork tender and yummy!

Tomatillo Dressing

This makes tons of dressing.

2 cups buttermilk
1 cup mayonaise
3 tomatillos  (they look like green tomatoes, in a husk)
2 cloves garlic
4-5 tbsp. dry ranch mix.  (one packet is equal to three tbsp.)
1/2 bunch of cilantro
the juice of one lime
salt to taste

Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor until thoroughly combined and refridgerate to set.  This comes out like a thin ranch dressing.  It's a little tangy, but delicious! 

We ate this on salad complete with rice, black beans and guacamole.  MMMMM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment