Sunday, January 1, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (AND MEXICAN SHRIMP COCKTAIL)

I hope that all of my loved ones had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Sorry that I continue to leave my blog untouched for sooo many weeks on end.  I won't even re-read my post from last year with my New Year Resolutions on it.  Not saying that I won't set more again, but I'm pretty sure I didn't come close to putting a dent in my list.  I will simplify this year's goal.  "Survive" will be the theme.  :) 

So that you all start your New Year's off right, and because I love you all I'm going to include the recipe for "Mexican Shrimp Cocktail" that so many members of my family enjoy.  It's easy and we have it on New Year's Eve and other "special occasions".  Love you all!!!

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail:

1 large bottle of Clamato.  This is sold in the juice isle next to the V- 8.  Clamato is a Hispanic tomato juice cocktail and it does have a different taste than anything else you can buy.  It is the authentic ingredient to make perfect shrimp cocktail... ok I'll be honest, it's made with clam juice but don't be afraid.  You're not serving it over ice and drinking it for breakfast and it makes perfect Mexican Shrimp Cocktail.   If you can't find Clamato, use regular V-8 or spicy V-8 if you like some heat.

1 small can El Pato.  (the yellow can)  This is a Mexican tomato sauce.  I think this can be found in most grocery stores.  If the Smith's in Sandy, Utah carries it (it does), I'm pretty sure you can find it just about anywhere... just sayin'.  For some reason if you can't find this ingredient then just stick to regular old shrimp cocktail...  ok, just kidding.... maybe you could use some juice from pickled jalepenos instead and extra extra seasoning.  The El Pato adds a lot of flavor.  (Or some Herdez red salsa may work, that may come close to the flavor you need.)  Just TRY to find it.

1/2 cup Heinz ketchup (it has the best taste in my opinion)
1/2 - 3/4 bunch cilantro or more to taste
3/4 a medium size red onion, or more to taste
4 stalk celery
1 cucumber, peeled and cubed.  (Cucumber pieces may be larger than the other vegetables.  Small cubes.)
2-3 avacado
approximately 2 pounds frozen shrimp, shells and tail removed
the juice of 1 to 2 large limes
salt, pepper to taste
(A de-seeded, de-veined jalapeno or two, chopped is also optional - just depends on who is eating it...)

Use a "slap chop", food processor or knife to cut the cilantro, celery and red onion into very small pieces.  Really the slap chop makes the veggies a perfect size, a food processor can be too much - you still want some crunch when you eat but the vegetables need to be small.

Pour Clamato into a large bowl, add the ketchup and stir together.  Pour in about 1/2 to 3/4 can of the El Pato.   This keeps the shrimp cocktail fairly mild.  For more kick, add the whole can.

Add vegetables into Clamato mix, then add frozen shrimp.  Juice lime over the entire bowl, add salt and pepper.

Taste test:  VERY IMPORTANT!  Like all things Mexican everything is "to taste."  You may want more crunch from vegetable.  You may need more salt and heat.  Add ketchup for more sweetness. Taste the mix and add any ingredient you think you need to add.

Cover your large bowl and let it sit on the counter for about 20 to 30 minutes.  The shrimp will defrost into your mixture and make it a perfect cold temperature for eating.

Right before serving, cube 2 or 3 avacados and add them into your bowl of cerviche.  (Or shrimp cocktail).  Again, anything you add is to taste.  The final product here should be a soupy consistency that is a little sweet and spicy, almost like eating a cold shrimp soup.  It is fantastic.

Enjoy a little bit of our family tradition and eat up!!!  You will love it, I promise.

Happy New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment