Thursday, January 26, 2012

The End Of An Era - Potty Train Has Left the Station...

This is a life changing week for me.

My baby Bella decided to be potty trained.  She's traded out her pull ups for panties.  It's official.

I've pondered so much about potty training over the years.  And it's kind of funny how much HOW a child potty trains defines them as a person.

I certainly didn't know when I started mothering these children and teaching them "basics" like potty training it would give me so much insight into each of their personalities, but it shouldn't surprise me. One of the biggest thing a child controls in his or her world is the decision to "go on the potty" or not.  It's a pretty life changing choice...  It's the step from baby to child.  Now that I'm ending this phase of life (the baby phase) it's given me a lot of time to ponder.

Tyler (now 16) REFUSED to go on the toilet. He potty trained at three and three quarters.  He appreciated what we had to say about it... I mean he could hold full on conversations regarding going on the toilet.  I asked him once, why don't you go on the potty Tyler?  His response?  I don't want to.  Let me be the first to say that Tyler is still EXACTLY the same.  He appreciates what we have to say, he is even mostly respecful and nice.  However, he still does things his (the hard mostly) way.  But in the end, I know he'll be okay he just does things in his time.

Michael potty trained literally about one month after Tyler.  At two. I mean, if Tyler was going to do it he WOULD NOT be outdone.  Michael?  He is still exactly the same.  He does not like to be outdone by his brother, or anyone else so he works very hard at everything he does.  A little over-achiever.  At fourteen he gets straight A's in honors classes, plays five instruments and westles.  There is more, but we'll just stop there.  When you potty train at two and one month and you are a boy, your standards are high.

Jules?  Right on time.  At about two and a half without any fuss she decided she'd be potty trained.  No problems.  Jules now?  Easy going... sweet and eagar to please girl that likes to do everything just - right.

Joshua.... oh he was so messy.  Just too busy to really sit and clean himself up completely.  He was on the go.  I probably had more poop all over the toilet from all of Josh's rushing than any other child combined.  So how is Josh still, at nearly ten?  On the go go go.  It is a true blessing he has that he is also very athletic like his brother Tyler.  A gift from Heavenly Father to channel all of that energy.

Matthew....like Jules... "easy peasy" and right on time.  Not too messy, not too rushed.  Pretty careful.  And that is exactly Matthew (at almost 8.)

Now with Bella, she came five years after Matthew like her very own "TaaaaDaaaaa"  and she is potty training the same way.  Every time she goes she asks whomever is around, "are you so happy? I (insert verb here) on the potty".   It's a celebration every time.

That isn't a bad way for me to end the baby stage of my motherhood, with a celebration.  It does make me sad to say goodbye to the "babies"  part of my life, but ending with a party sure makes it fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment