Friday, January 27, 2012

Basketball. (A Derekimony)

That one word pretty much describes the theme of our life for the past three months.  For the three months before that the theme was:  football. 

Those are the two sports that the majority of my boys are interested in.  Except for Michael, he is his own man, but the other three?  Football and basketball.  Because we are in such a little town and in a new charter school just starting a high school sports program... Derek helped coach some football this year and was the head coach for basketball.

I had zero I mean zip nada clue as to how much time this commitment would take.

Derek works one hour away, he is the Young Men's President in our ward, and he has to be on call for his job. Various of our children do scouts, dance class, activity days, wrestling, music classes... we are a busy family.  (I'm in the Primary Presidency but when I look at Derek's "to do" list it feels like I shouldn't even mention it...)   It's a lot.  I mean, we are a great team but I'm thinking that we found our limit this year. 

Anyway, if you all ever wonder why my blog is almost "seasonal" now you know, it is.

HOWEVER... Derek is a fabulous basketball coach.  He took a bunch of boys that never played organized ball and turned them into a serious team.  He is a great mentor and helped these boys be better people, including our own son.  I am very proud of him.

I can't even begin to list the good he does as Young Mens President.  Suffice it to say, he really blesses the lives of the boys in our ward.  There are a few boys here in crisis and he visits them and helps to meet their serious needs.  (He is seriously awesome... wouldn't want to do life without him - love him.)

As hard as it is to live in a small town where both of us have to volunteer so many hours for our children to have all the education/activities we feel are important and each have big church callings, I see the growth that Derek and I have experienced and the opportunities we have to bond with our children... and I am grateful.

In so many ways it is a sacrifice for us to live out here in our little run down desert town and sometimes we get tired and wonder SERIOUSLY WHY CAN'T WE MOVE?  (We are told big fat NO every time we ask in prayer) ... I'm thinking it's probably Derek's fault, (just sayin')

BUT

I know it's Heavenly Father, working his plan.  And I am thankful.

PS.  I re-read this and decided that since this entry was pretty much about Derek and his awesomeness I really needed to plug the fact that not only does he do everything listed above, but he is also 911 - literally.  He currently works in the Special Victims Unit and works all crimes against children.  So he goes to work for ten hours helping people in crisis, then he comes home to me (usually having some kind of crisis) and THEN he helps everyone else until bedtime.  He is a real life super hero...

2 comments:

  1. I always knew elder Samuel would turn out to be a champion grown-up. I am sure the amazing things he will do have only just begun.i am sure he is where he's at in life because of his fabulous wife.what a match you two are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie :) Good to hear from you, I love love reading on your blog when I get the chance!

      Delete