Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Basics" and "Staples"

The adult session of Stake Conference was last night, and a few comments really stood out to me.

You know, we've all heard we need to pray, read the scriptures, go to church, Family Home Evening, Temple attendance.   And I've heard them referred to as "the basics."  We all know that we need to be in the habit of doing those things to get by spiritually.   But to refer to them as "staples" brings renewed significance to me.

Staple:  something one relies on because it is a basic necessity for them.  Not only are those things a basic, they are a necessity. 

In the same talk, she also talked about different "levels of spirituality."  She explained that we start doing things because we want to be obedient, but at some point, we do them because we've learned to love the Lord.  I guess I think obedience equals basic and staple equals Love the Lord.  When you really get to that point, you HAVE to obey because you just can't not.  You feel too strongly not to.

How inspiring...  Now I just need to keep on practicing to get it exactly right...

No comments:

Post a Comment