Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tina's Grandma's Salsa

I spent my entire morning looking for this:



Above is a copy of the recipe for the best canned salsa you will ever eat in your entire life.  No really, in your ENTIRE life!

This exact copy holds sentimental value for me.  The first time I canned salsa, I was at a good friend's house, Tina.  We were sitting at her kitchen table, wondering what in the world to do with the ten (in total) bushels of tomato we'd ordered to do well, something with.  We just didn't really plan on what that "something" would be.  We were trying to be good "doers" and be prepared for you know, whatever - we would have tomatoes.

Somewhere in Tina's memory was her Grandma's wonderful canned salsa that used veggies from her garden.  (Tina remembered that everyone raved about it and she loved it too.)  So, one phone to her grandma and a quick trip to the grocery store later and we had everything needed to make up a batch of her Grandma's salsa recipe. 

I've canned this recipe over the years with different friends and made new memories every time.  This copy now has sentimental value.

I was a stress case when I couldn't find it.  I literally pulled out all of the stops going through piles and piles of recipes.  I was sure I put it, you know, in a "safe" place.  Of course I couldn't find it in ANY of my "safe places"  I finally called one of the people  I made this salsa with and as luck would have it, it 's my neighbor.

She reminded me that I submitted the recipe for a canning cookbook a few years ago (hooray).  But, BONUS, she had an original copy of the recipe that my friend wrote down years ago.  So here it is, now, documented on my blog for safekeeping.  I'll never have to go on the hunt for this salsa recipe again.

And now you can all make your own FABULOUS canned salsa.  (And maybe some memories with friends and family...)

Here is the recipe in nice, typewritten print:

Tina's Grandma's Salsa  (Makes about seven pints.)

About 30 medium tomatoes

Place in a pot and heat until the skin starts to break, then plunge into icy water to stop the cooking. 
Peel and core the tomatoes, put in a large pot.  (Very large).

Add: 
6 long green chili  (For a yummy "smoky" taste to your salsa, roast your chili first.  Read directions listed on my blog.)
3 bell peppers
2 peeled onion
For Heat (Optional):
6 jalapenos  (You can add these or not, it's to taste.)
1 or 2 habaneras  (The hottest pepper on the planet.  I never add this but I may someday.... )

Cut up all of the ingredients.  Boil tomato and veggies together and stir until onions are transparent.  Pour mixture into blender and blend for about 30 seconds until ingredients are combined.  You can process them for longer if you like your salsa less "chunky."  Wash your cooking pot, pour blender mixture back in then add 5 tbsp. salt and 1/2 C vinegar.  Boil for 10 to 15 minutes.

Follow instructions for getting jars/lids ready to can.  Fill jars and process in hot water bath for 55 minutes.  (Processing time starts after the water is at a full boil.)

Now you're ready to enjoy the most fabulous, delicious canned salsa I've ever had...  and I am a pro!  (Insert smiley face here...)

No comments:

Post a Comment