Thursday, March 24, 2011

Homemade Granola

I've been searching for an easy granola recipe for a while.  It seems like most of the recipes I find on the internet include various seeds, grains and nuts that remind me more of bird food than anything else.  Finally I asked a gal in my ward who I heard was "in the know" when it comes to granola.  No kidding, this stuff is basic and good.  I'm sure those of you that want to make it like bird food can, but this is a good place to start.  Warning... I'm pretty sure it's not super low fat, but it is filling and a little addicting... just sayin'.

6 C Quick Cook Oats  (Great price for this at the cannery.)


1 c. whole wheat flour

1/2 c. sweetened coconut flakes

1 1/2 c. maple syrup or honey (I used honey and it was delicious!)

1 c. crunchy peanut butter

1/4 c. oil

In a large bowl, Mix the first 3 dry ingredients. Add 1/2 t. salt (optional). Set aside.

In a medium microwavable bowl, mix the maple syrup and peanut butter, microwaving them about 1 minute to soften the consistency of the peanut butter. Stir in the oil.

Preheat oven to 300. Mix the wet into the dry ingredients. Grease 2 sheet pans. Spread evenly onto the sheet pans.

Bake 25 min. Stir. Bake 10-15 more minutes until light golden brown.

Notes:
The granola was still soft when I took it from the oven.  I wasn't sure if that was correct but when it cooled, it had more of a "granola" texture.  Also, I didn't use any coconut because I didn't have it on hand.  Instead, I used a half a cup of trail mix that had raisins, sunflower seeds, and peanuts.  If you want to use chocolate chips or something else yummy, add it after the granola is cooled.

This recipe filled 3/4 of a gallon container, and it can double easily.  When you double the recipe, it uses a number ten can of quick oats.

Enjoy it, it's good and I believe that if it doesn't actually save you money to make it - it should for sure save you additives and sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment