Thursday, October 21, 2010

Recaps and Highlights from our Disneyland Vacation










I was going to blog a daily diary of what we did on our trip, but I decided to give highlights instead.  We had a TON of fun - that's the main thing.  However, there are some things that I learned about each of my kids and I think those are the things I want to remember most.

First of all, Joshua is pretty brave.  His absolute favorite ride at Disneyland was the Matterhorn.  He went on it five times which considering the line that thing had, was pretty impressive. After his first ride, Josh comes running up to me...  "mom, that was awesome!  There was this Yetti in there, but he wasn't even scary.  He was, like a toddler Yetti, he only came up to here (hand on chest) to me.  It was totally cheezy."  Hilarious.  The unscary Yetti was only a toddler.  Whoda thought?

Matthew went on several rides you couldn't have paid me to be on.  When he came off the "Tower of Terror"  (one of the rides I would never do)...  he said "Dad, my legs are pretty wiggly, they won't stop moving.  Go figure.  And Matthew came back for more.  He rode every ride he was tall enough to except Space Mountain.  His mother put a stop to that.  Too scary...

We learned that Michael actually has an honest fear of heights.  I've never taken him very seriously when he says that.  I tell him to "buck up" and "get over it".  But he actually babysat Bella several times so that the rest of us could go on rides that he didn't want to be on.  I have a different perspective on his phobia now.  Sadly, I benefitted from it so much this trip, I don't think I'm in any hurry for him to get past it.  (Does that make me a bad mom....?)  :)

There were lots of things that Mike and I did do together and I loved that he hung with me and Bella so much.  Who else would stand in a half hour Peter Pan line more than once?  Mike, Bells and I literally hung around Fantasyland for hours and loved every minute of it! 

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that Bella didn't meet any ride at Disneyland she didn't love.  Every morning the first thing she did was try to climb in her stroller so we could get out the door again.  She started to get sick towards the end of the trip so she lost some of her zip, but she was such a trooper.  I had a great time with her!  On this occasion, I was glad for her little daredevil personality.  So Fun!!!

Julianna....  she was brave about some things, not as much about others but overall she loved her time at Disneyland also.  Here is my funny (and is it funny) story about Jules. 

So Derek and Greg (dad of the other family we were with) were going to pick up dinner one night.  They drive past a "Gentleman's Club."  Jules says, "dad, we need to send Tyler there"  pointing to said club.  "Oh really"?  Derek asks.. .  "Yes, maybe they can teach him some manners there"!  Needless to say while trying not to laugh too hard, he explained that while Tyler would probably enjoy learning manners at the "Gentleman's Club", that was never going to happen.

Tyler had a blast.  He rode every ride as many times as he could.  He was a one man comedy act while I was waiting to go on space mountain with him.  I was super nervous because it was the first ride we did when we got there and I didn't realize it was a roller coaster until I'd already been standing there for twenty minutes.  I'd planned on starting small and working my way up to a roller coaster, so I was anxious!!  He was telling me, "don't worry mom, you're only at zero gravity for about five seconds" and "ok, now when we get in there take a deep breath because they suck all the oxygen out.  Don't worry, there is a fifty fifty chance that you'll land back in your seat after we drop..."  Thanks Tyler, but I sure did have fun hanging out with him.

And in some strange wrinkle in the universe, my Padowan Learner turned out to be.....





Yes, Michael was picked as the Young Jedi....  Evidently, Joshua wasn't really listening to the instructions the "Jedi Master" was giving.  (Come to think of it, maybe that isn't so weird....)

I really can't wait to go back!  I love my family... 

PS.  I feel the need to mention this for the safety of any family member that may go to Disneyland in the near future.  Use extreme caution when riding "It's A Small World".  If you have to wait in line for any amount of time (I would say, longer than ten minutes), then walk away....  JUST WALK AWAY!!  When your ride through "It's A Small World" takes thirty minutes, yes, not a typo, 30 MINUTES!!  I would argue that the ride becomes scarier than a Halloween Space Mountain ride, or even Halloween the movie.  No one should EVER have to listen to the song "It's a Small World" for longer than five minutes.  NEVER EVER!!!  Seriously the stuff nightmares are made of....  




No comments:

Post a Comment