Sunday, October 17, 2010

Quiche

I made this tonight and I need to clarify one instruction.

I finally came up with a Quiche recipe that is the correct consistency for our family to enjoy it.  I've been experimenting now and again with different recipes and now I believe this is the ratio of fat to eggs that makes the best texture for our family.  I've learned that to make any egg dish requires a certain amount of fat to prevent the eggs from being runny.  I've made a few quiches now without enough of one or so ingredients that keeps the eggs from setting the way our family likes it.  This ratio of mayo and cheese to eggs makes it perfect for us.  (The cheese is actually pretty important, I've tried with only a cup of cheese and it doesn't set up correctly.)

Combine the following ingredients in a mixer:
1/2 C Milk
1/2 C Mayonaise
4 large eggs or 5 medium eggs
Seasonings, I usually use regular salt and pepper.  I will occasionally add 1 tsp. dried dill

Into the pie crust add:

1 1/2 C Cheese  Any kind of cheese.  Our family always has co-jack on hand so that's usually what we use, but mild cheddar is really tasty also.

The rest is up to you!
We love to add:
Steamed Asparagus
Steamed Spinach
Ham cubes
Sauteed onion and green pepper to the adult quiche.

Mom also loves it when I add cream cheese.  I cut a block in half and then break pieces of it off around the inside of the crust so every piece has a bite of cream cheese.  It changes the texture just a little.  Mom loves it, Derek doesn't.  You do what you want  :)

Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pie crust

Bake at about 375 until set.   About 35-45 minutes.

Green chili, green onion and monterey jack cheese in your quiche is awesome also.  If you don't live close enough to Casa Palomino to get a perfect Chili Relleno, this has some great flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment